How to Take Advantage of your Graduate School Experience

 So, when working full-time and going to graduate school part-time, I did not have the time to be as active as I would have liked at my university. However, now that I am a full-time graduate student again, I have become very engaged both at my university and professional association. Below are some of the ways I have used my time as a graduate student wisely.

1. Focus on learning and not so much on the final grade

I used to get carried away with my final grade. I learned to instead shift my focus to understanding and comprehending the material so I can apply it to my research. For example, I am currently taking a visualization course that teaches me how to use Plotly to analyze data at a deeper level. Plotly allows me to create visually appealing plots and charts such as a parallel coordinate plot (PCP), chord diagram, MDS plot to show the relationship between large sets of data. For example, for one of the homework assignments, I analyzed the relationship gun policies, larceny, vehicle theft, property theft, and violent crime have on mass shootings by state. Plotly allows the user to create a database to showcase the information on one page for easy viewing by any person.

Parallel Coordinate Plot showing the Relationship between Gun Violence,
Crime and Gun Policies by State

2. Enroll in an Advanced Graduate Certificate (AGC)

An AGC is typically 12 credits or more. It is the equivalent of half a master’s degree and is an excellent way to may yourself stand out from others in your field. According to a report from Forbes, completing an AGC can also increase your salary between 13% to 25%. Stony Brook University offers various AGCs, but I decided to enroll in the following:

Currently, my research is on the experimental side. The STRIDE AGC gives me unique interdisciplinary skills to assist, create, and translate complex data to provide informed decisions and develop sound policies. On the other hand, the science communication AGC teaches me to communicate my research to different audiences besides the typical researcher. I enrolled in these AGCs because my goal is to become involved in science policy. AGCs provide a way to expand into this field without committing to a master’s program. Moreover, because I am enrolled in a doctoral program that is fully funded, I do not have to pay for the additional courses required for the AGCs.

During the pandemic, I was able to finalize these AGCs because my lab closed for some time, which allowed me to focus solely on coursework. I encourage students to enroll in AGCs relevant to the career path they would like to pursue.

3. Join Student Clubs

I am currently part of the Graduate Women in Science and Engineering Club and the Society of Hispanic Engineers graduate students club for region 4 (i.e., the northeast). I enjoy dedicating my time to these initiatives because their mission is to increase STEM representation among underrepresented groups, similar to my goal.

I recently joined the National Science Policy Network (NSPN) because I want to get involved in science policy. Through NSPN, I have had the opportunity to collaborate with graduate students from other universities in other states that I would have otherwise never met or worked with. For example, I am currently writing an opinion piece on COVID-19 vaccine waste and working on a science policy memo for the science-policy memo competition held by the Journal of Science Policy and Governance.

I encourage students to join clubs they are passionate about. It is a great networking opportunity. Not to mention, it helps to make the graduate school experience much more enjoyable!

4. Learn outside of the classroom as much as you do inside the classroom.

One of my favorite past times is to read. Unfortunately, I do not have as much time as I would like to read because of my research. But I try to read at least 5 books per year. Some of the books I have read this year so far include:

Library Genesis allows you to download books for free.

5.   5. Cultivate relationships with your peers, staff, and professors.

   Through your research and teaching experiences, you will become acquainted with other graduate students at your university, staff, and professors. It is essential to maintain a relationship with these individuals because they can provide helpful advice and lead to future collaborations.

6.   6. Put yourself out there!

I encourage students to post about their research and/or academic journey online. Our world has become so digitized and younger generations, in particular, rely on information online to make decisions. By posting about your educational journey online, you have the potential to serve as a role model for others. It is equally, if not more important, for researchers to post about their research online to combat the epidemic of misinformation.

If there is a competition you know of that sounds interesting, I encourage students to apply. For example, I applied to be part of the Rockefeller Institute of Government’s Future Leaders in Science Policy Competition. I surprised myself and won the competition! The winner gets prize money and their research published by the Rockefeller Institute of Government. Allow yourself to participate in competitions. It is a great learning experience.

Comments & Questions

In what ways do you plan to get involved on campus? Do you plan to enroll in any AGCs? Do you plan to enroll in any clubs that are not associated with your university? How do you plan to put yourself out there?

Comments

Post a Comment